9 January 2020
ACV19: Should You Be A Full Time Independent Market Trader? (Rayner Teo, Full-time Trader / Youtuber, Part 1)
Rayner Teo is the founder of TradingwithRayner.com, an independent trader, and the most-followed trader in Singapore. With a background in proprietary trading, Rayner shares his knowledge of trading through Youtube videos, podcast episodes and mentoring sessions. His Youtube channel has over 250,000 subscribers, and his blogs on trading attract 100,000 readers a month.
Rayner Teo left his job to strike out on his own as an independent trader. In this podcast, he talks about his journey, and along the way he debunks common myths about trading your own money full time as a source of income.
3 THINGS I LEARNED
- Trading isn’t for everyone. Rayner says there are better ways to generate income than trading, and to reap substantial rewards, you need to first start with a decent amount of capital. So the myth that trading gets you out of the ‘rat race’ is untrue – it is a fulltime endeavour like any 9-5.
- Tailor your learning to your end goal – learning to trade doesn’t exist in a vacuum. Trading to generate income versus trading to grow overall wealth requires developing different trading strategies. So before you can learn to trade, you need to establish what you want to achieve by trading.
- Learn from others’ practice, not just theory – Rayner developed his trading strategies by a mix of seeing what worked for others, consulting resources and identifying patterns of knowledge.
- Trading with Rayner Youtube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFSn-h8wTnhpKJMteN76Abg
- Trading With Rayner Website – https://www.tradingwithrayner.com/
- Warren Buffet – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Buffett
- Value Investing – https://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/valueinvesting.asp
- Price-to-Earnings Ratio (P/E Ratio) – https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price-earningsratio.asp
- Price-To-Book (P/B Ratio) – https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price-to-bookratio.asp
- Candlestick Patterns – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candlestick_pattern
- Japanese Candlestick Charting Techniques – https://www.amazon.com/Japanese-Candlestick-Charting-Techniques-Contemporary-ebook/dp/B00CS74GBM
- Rule #1: The Simple Strategy for Successful Investing in Only 15 Minutes a Week! – https://www.amazon.com/Rule-Strategy-Successful-Investing-Minutes/dp/0307336840
- Ken Fisher – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Fisher
- The Only Three Questions That Count: Investing by Knowing What Others Dont – https://www.amazon.com/Only-Three-Questions-That-Count/dp/0470292679
- One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already know to Make Money in the Market – https://www.amazon.com.au/One-Up-Wall-Street-Already/dp/0743200403
- Forex Trading – https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/11/why-trade-forex.asp
- MT4 (Metatrader 4, free Forex Trading / Analysis platform) – https://www.metatrader4.com/en/trading-platform
- Price Action – https://www.investopedia.com/articles/active-trading/110714/introduction-price-action-trading-strategies.asp
- Technical Analysis – https://www.investopedia.com/terms/t/technicalanalysis.asp
- Paper Trading – https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/papertrade.asp
- Nikkei 225 Futures – https://www.jpx.co.jp/english/derivatives/products/domestic/225futures/01.html
- Currency Futures – https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/currencyfuture.asp
- Nick French (12:49)
- Unholy Grails – A Road to New Wealth – https://www.amazon.com.au/Unholy-Grails-New-Road-Wealth-ebook/dp/B007T97DJQ
- Andreas Cleanow – https://www.amazon.com/Andreas-Clenow/e/B008UQ6KGE%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share
- Stocks on the Move: Beating the Market with Hedge Fund Momentum Strategies – https://www.amazon.com.au/Stocks-Move-Beating-Momentum-Strategies-ebook/dp/B00YPHZO3W
- Larry Connors – https://tradingmarkets.com/authors/larry_connors
- Cesar Alvarez’s Quant Trading – https://alvarezquanttrading.com/
If you have enjoyed this episode of The Alternative CV Podcast please subscribe, share this episode and leave a comment or review so that I know what you like and what I can do better on. Get in touch at email@example.com. Thanks so much for helping me make this show better!
Good stuff 🙂