DR CHRIS LOVEJOY (PART 2)
A Crash Course on Machine Learning, Where AI Fits Into Healthcare, And More
Chris Lovejoy is a Junior Doctor dedicated to changing the medical industry though tech and education. Alongside his Medical career, Chris has worked with Cera Care, a technology-enabled homecare company which uses machine learning to identify and predict health risks among the elderly population to allow early intervention.
Chris runs a blog (https://chrislovejoy.me/), YouTube channel and online courses on applications of Machine Learning in Medicine. He is currently taking a year out of Medical practice to complete a Masters in Data Science and Machine Learning at UCL.
Dr Chris Lovejoy gives a brief crash course on Machine Learning, as well as his opinion on whether AI can replace doctors.
3 Things I’ve Learned
- AI vs Machine Learning – Artificial Intelligence is a computer that can perform functions that would require human intelligence. However, its rules and operating procedure is pre-programmed. Machine Learning however, learns its own rules by being presented with a number of different inputs, which allows it to identify patterns.
- Technology such as AI is very good at doing a discrete task, but not much else. General professionals however, have the background expertise to identify abnormalities, and the discretion to investigate further before coming to a decision. Therefore, doctors would not be replaced by AI – instead, it would likely become a powerful tool in their arsenal.
- Changing your career path doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve wasted your time – Chris notes that the meta skills he developed in studying and training in medicine equipped him with skills and experiences that he believes will benefit him in the future, even if he doesn’t return to healthcare.
Here are links to some of the references we make in the podcast:
- Cera Care – https://ceracare.co.uk/
- Chris’ Machine Learning Courses – https://chrislovejoy.me/ml-medics/
- Chris’ Blog – https://chrislovejoy.me/
- Chris’ Youtube Channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDoIFHMTKsgIweO-OZt1ecw
- Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) – https://medium.com/@RaghavPrabhu/understanding-of-convolutional-neural-network-cnn-deep-learning-99760835f148
- Recurrent Neural Network (RNN) – https://medium.com/explore-artificial-intelligence/an-introduction-to-recurrent-neural-networks-72c97bf0912
- Andrew Ng – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Ng
- Andrew Ng Tweet- https://twitter.com/andrewyng/status/930938692310482944?lang=en
- ‘CheXNet: Radiologist-Level Pneumonia Detection on Chest X-Rays with Deep Learning’ – Andrew Ng’s Stanford Paper – https://stanfordmlgroup.github.io/projects/chexnet/
- DeepMind and Moorfield Eye Hospital Research – https://www.moorfields.nhs.uk/content/breakthrough-ai-technology-improve-care-patients
- NHS Trial of AI Chest Xrays – https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hospitals-will-use-ai-to-check-x-rays-9g6nmxp0g
- ‘Delivering Cognitive Behaviour Therapy to Young Adults with Symptoms of Depression and Anxiety Using a Fully Automated Conversational Agent (Woebot): A Randomized Controlled Trial’ – Andrew Ng Chatbot CBT Study – https://mental.jmir.org/2017/2/e19/
- “Is Medicine Right For Me?”: Article on switching careers – https://184.108.40.206/career-2/
- Chris’ Online Courses – https://chrislovejoy.me/ml-medics/
- Andrew Ng’s Machine Learning Course – https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning?utm_source=gg&utm_medium=sem&utm_content=07-StanfordML-US&campaignid=685340575&adgroupid=52515609594&device=c&keyword=machine%20learning%20mooc&matchtype=b&network=g&devicemodel=&adpostion=1t1&creativeid=243289762946&hide_mobile_promo&gclid=CjwKCAiAxMLvBRBNEiwAKhr-nEjbuzSumLIaCQTG6u-LnNzxJNt4PnUliPEAmlNfIDZs-gUGSejVohoCyMgQAvD_BwE#instructors
- CodeMD – https://www.codemd.co.uk/
- ‘Understanding Machine Learning in Medicine’ Webinar – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leDBwoaWQ6E
If you have enjoyed this episode of The Alternative CV Podcast please subscribe, share this episode and leave a comment or review so that I know what you like and what I can do better on. Get in touch at email@example.com. Thanks so much for helping me make this show better!
!Share this story
Each episode of the Alternative CV podcast is produced with and hopes to educate and inspire you. If you find our content useful, please subscribe to our podcast. No spam, just more great episodes delivered straight to your inbox.