LOH LIK PENG (PART 2)
Building a World Class Team by Empowering Your Staff
Dynamic hotelier and restaurateur Loh Lik Peng (instagram: @pengloh) was born in Dublin, Ireland. He attended Law school in England, University of Sheffield and Postgraduate at London School of Economics followed by bar exams in London before returning to Singapore in 1997. Loh became a corporate litigator upon his return before leaving the profession to step into the hospitality industry. Since then, Loh has started ventures across Singapore, Shanghai and London under the umbrella of his company, ‘Unlisted Collection’. Presently, he has 27 restaurants with a combined 7 Michelin stars and 5 hotels across 6 countries.
In this episode, I talk to Loh Lik Peng about building a team with decentralised leadership, finding unique locations for his projects and balancing passion with practicality.
3 Things I’ve Learned
- Find your niche and let your passion guide you. From finding unique locations to building loyal teams, Loh is guided by a love of hotels, places and relationships over a desire to maximise profit.
- Decisions don’t have to make total financial sense to be the correct ones. Loh was guided by his passion in a series of projects others would find as too risky. However, it is important to strike that balance between passion projects and being able to justify your choices.
- Building a good team means investing in relationships. In recruiting, Loh spends time getting to know how people tick, and puts the time in to foster a ‘natural chemistry.’ It’s this approach that allows him to trust his team can manage a global network of properties.
Here are links to some of the references we make in the podcast:
- TripAdvisor: https://www.tripadvisor.com/
- David Pynt, Burnt Ends:https://burntends.com.sg/about/
- Clayton Wells, Automata: https://www.automata.com.au/news/claytonwells
- The Old Clare Hotel, Sydney: https://www.theoldclarehotel.com.au/
- Attenborough and the Empire of the Ants – David Attenborough Documentary: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7830168/
- Digital Disruption in Hotel Industry: https://hospitalitytech.com/digital-disruption-hospitality-seven-top-technology-application
If you have enjoyed this episode of The Alternative CV Podcast please subscribe, share this episode and leave a comment or review so that I know what you like and what I can do better on. Get in touch at email@example.com. Thanks so much for helping me make this show better!
!Share this story
Each episode of the Alternative CV podcast is produced with and hopes to educate and inspire you. If you find our content useful, please subscribe to our podcast. No spam, just more great episodes delivered straight to your inbox.