DR GOH WEI LEONG (PART 2)
How To Start A Charity
On this episode, Dr Goh shares practical advice about starting a charity. Even so, these are principles that are applicable more generally to any endeavour you may undertake.
3 Things I’ve Learned
- When staring a charity, you need a team around you. Don’t be afraid to sell your friends about your vision, and look for domain expertise amongst them and then ask for help – people with the skillsets that can help solve your problems (e.g. provide legal or financial advice)
- You might face rejection, but choose instead to celebrate the little successes – the people who say yes and get behind you. And even the people who say no at first – they may come on board a couple of years later
- Practically – funding structure for charities. You want to tap on the larger corporate CSR budgets, but at the same time it’s useful to mix that with a broad base of individual donors so that you’re not beholden to one giver.
Here are links to some of the references we make in the podcast:
- Society vs Public Company Limited by Guarantee https://www.guidemesingapore.com/business-guides/incorporation/other-business-entity-types/setting-up-a-non-profit-entity-in-singapore—part-1
- Applying for charity status: https://www.charities.gov.sg/setting-up-a-charity/Registering-for-a-new-charity/Pages/Legislative%20Conditions%20for%20Registration%20as%20a%20Charity_IPC.aspx
- Dr Goh’s email: email@example.com
If you have enjoyed this episode of The Alternative CV Podcast please subscribe, share this episode and leave a comment or review so that I know what you like and what I can do better on. Get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks so much for helping me make this show better!
!Share this story
Join The Community
We release every episode of the Alternative CV podcast hoping that people like you are educated and inspired. It keeps us going!
If you find our content useful and want to keep up to date with every episode plus more, subscribe to our email newsletter.
No spam, just more great episodes delivered straight to your inbox.